OpinioN8

Connecting Crouch End and Hornsey with news, views and information

The Disturbances in Tottenham and nearby - a summary of information available

The trouble that was sparked off initially by the death of Mark Duggan, and subsequently by the escalation of an initially peaceful protest by his family, has been quick to spread and there has been a mass of both news and misinformation since. I will try to pull together some of the threads together here.

1) Cause - The troubles do not seem to have been caused by the family of Mark Duggan.

2) Crouch End and Hornsey have not been completely immune from problems - Blockbuster certainly had its window smashed, there may have been an incident in Costa - but so far (15:44 on Wednesday) the area has been very little affected.

3) Rumour seems to have been the greatest the greatest threat to the area - many businesses closed either altogether or early yesterday because of ill founded rumours, which neither shopkeepers nor the police can ignore. Please check sources before re-tweeting or forwarding other speculation.

4) Metropolitan Police Information is available here - this page seems to be updated every two to three hours and has links to other information

5) Donating Money - the following information seems to be accurate - I found it in a circular sent to Haringey councillors. It has been widely disseminated.

Donations can be made to the Tottenham Fund:

Cheques

Payable to: Mayor’s Charity – Tottenham Fund

Send to: London Borough of Haringey, PO Box 55235. London. N22 9DF

Direct to the bank (either in a branch or by e-banking)

Payee: Mayor’s Charity – Tottenham Fund  

Sort Code: 60-24-23

Account number: 90724828

6) Donating Goods - The easiest way for Crouch Enders to donate goods is to take them to Budgens in Crouch End and put them in the cages outside the store. Budgens will then ferry them to the central collection point.  The central collection point is either Apex House or the Tottenham Green Leisure Centre, and Haringey has published information here . The list of requirements is:

Tags: riots

Views: 190

Replies to This Discussion

In the interests of avoiding misinformation I can point to this tweet

knittingnellyAug 10, 10:32pm via web

RT @LondonFire: Our crews have tackled a factory blaze in South Tottenham this evening. Not believed to be related to any disturbance. http://t.co/WmqVIvK

and thereby to this page from the London Fire Brigade

Thanks to knittingnelly for alerting me to the LFB info

RSS

© 2022   Created by Adrian Essex.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service