Connecting Crouch End and Hornsey with news, views and information
I went to a packed meeting last night of the Crouch End, Hornsey and Stroud Green Area Forum and Committee.
Packed in every sense of the word in that there were a great many people there (members of the public outnumbered presenters and officers of the council) and in that the agenda ran non-stop with no breaks and covered a great many topics.
First up was a progress report from Sue Robertson the principal of Mountview Theatre School which is negotiating still to take over the Hornsey Town Hall. This lady is a very polished presenter and handles questions well, so its perhaps a little hard to gauge exactly what progress is, but the points I picked up were:
1) focus at the moment is on fund raising using a specialist fund raiser
2) the lease has not been signed yet but heads of terms are being agreed - the chair of the committee will write to the finance of the cabinet to ask for sight of these before negotiations close
3) the lease must be signed before building work starts
4) the plan is to move in to the Town hall in the 2014/15 academic year
5) there will be no clash with the theatre under development in Finsbury Park, because they will have different performances for different audiences, but there is already co-operation
OpinioN8 has been running a very simple survey to gauge reaction to the Mountview plans. So far 45 have responded and the results are split 80/20, with the majority saying the plans are good ones. I share this view with the caveat that the lease must be well drawn to ensure that the public benefit goals are achieved, which is why it is important that the public see it before it is signed