OpinioN8

Connecting Crouch End and Hornsey with news, views and information

Is any one else suffering from a plague of mice? We seem to be over run. And these are no ordinary mice - not timid nocturnal 

Wee, sleekit, cowrin, tim'rous beastie, O, what a panic's in thy breastie!

at all but brazen daytime visitors to living rooms, which appear to want to make conversation.
I bought a bunch of traps from the local hardware store but they never get sprung, and they thrive on the poison I've bought.
What should I do other than domesticate them?
Adrian

Tags: crouch, crouchend, discussion, end, eradication, haringey, hornsey, london, mice, mouse, More…n8, news, pest, views

Views: 252

Replies to This Discussion

My mice have now gone. How - nearly £300 worth of poison, laid by a professional.

This website offers advice, including keep a barn owl and drowning the little blighters

Well done getting rid of your rodents - at a price.  The professionals are able to get hold of poison that is much more effective than stuff you can buy over the counter. 

Has anyone got an answer to a  MOTH problem?  I vacuumed  the sitting room rug the other day. Oh horror! I  saw great clumps of pile doing a wall of death round the dyson dust container.  On close inspection I found tiny caterpillars feasting on the inch thick wool, panicked, freaked out and sprayed with kybosh.   Damage limitation.  The rug sadly had to go.   These things don't cocoon themselves and emerge as beautiful butterflies but hatch and fly as moths intent on laying their eggs in my one and only hard-earned cashmire jumper.

In the pub the other night and another N8er told me that his socks had been attacked - didn't ask if he was wearing them at the time!

I am doing some research into effective, non-smelly moth proofing but in the meantime would welcome any advice.  Apparently they are attracted to the plane trees which grow in abundance round here.     

Ruby, in matters domestic I always defer to Mrs Beeton.  This is her advice in the use of preservatives against the Ravages of Moths:

"Place pieces of camphor, cedar-wood, Russia leather, tobacco-leaves, bog-myrtle or anything else strongly aromatic, in the drawers or boxes where furs or other things to be preserved from moths are kept, and they will never take harm"

Having never smelled bog-myrtle, I couldn't recommend its use but I'm sure it would marry pleasantly with whatever scent you favour, ensuring your coveted cashmere stays whole and unharmed.

Bog myrtle has its own website.  I have sent an email to the proprietors (see below). If the response is Yes and Yes then perhaps we should set up an import business and resell the "extortionate" product in CE.

Or eradicate one of the causes and cut down all the plane trees - which if I'm correct are those trees the council trims back to almost nothing every year anyway.

Mrs Beeton says "Place pieces of camphor, cedar-wood, Russia leather, tobacco-leaves, bog-myrtle or anything else strongly aromatic, in the drawers or boxes where furs or other things to be preserved from moths are kept, and they will never take harm"
Are you aware of this advice? Do you believe bog myrtle would be effective against moth larvae?ThanksAdrian

Moth Horrer ...however effective, I'm not sure I want strong aromatics in my drawers but thanks for the tip.  I think I may be on to something effective and odourless and will keep you posted.  Yes, the plane trees are the ones that the council reduce to rows of leprous fists by way of pollarding every year - not pretty.  I say chop them down and plant cherry trees instead.

This afternoon I am off to the Sally Bourne  workshop with a pair of vertiginous heels that I can't walk in.  Hopefully they will be photographed for prosperity.    

I have the same problem.  Just one rather cavalier mouse at the moment but his brethren won't be far away.  Have you tried one of those sound switches?  Apparently they emit a high frequency noise that repels rodents...I haven't tried one as we're still putting down poison but now Daisy is about to crawl we'll have to rethink the means of getting rid.

Having a barn owl would be rather cool though.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Adrian Essex.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service