OpinioN8

Connecting Crouch End and Hornsey with news, views and information

The Tatler has published a guide to State Schools and has high praise for Crouch End's Coleridge. The full text of the entry is shown below.

COLERIDGE PRIMARY SCHOOL (LONDON, N8)

PUPILS 910, aged 3-11

It's enormous, Coleridge, with a yearly intake (120) to rival those of your average entire prep school. But the tinies are tucked away in the grand old West site and the bigger ones in the more rambling East site, with separate entrances for different year groups so 'you feel like you're dropping off at somewhere really rather small', says a mother. Teachers are bright and funny and incredibly enthusiastic, whipping out a guitar to explain a point, and getting all the kids romping around in the outdoor classroom in all weathers. From Year 2 there are meditation and capoeira clubs, and there's lots of parental involvement and bake sales, which makes it a proper social hub for the whole of Crouch End - 'if your kids don't go to Coleridge, you feel left out,' we're told. The catchment area is hanky-sized and families move within yards to get in - any further than three or four blocks away and you've got no chance.

http://www.flickr.com//photos/38385756@N05/sets/72157639508159326/s...

Tags: coleridge, tatler

Views: 1335

Replies to This Discussion

The information about the catchment area is inaccurate: its bigger than that, as you would expect with a four form entry school, I am sure Coleridge would not want people to be put off from applying because they think they are too far away...

really, is haringey wrong? who has better data? 

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/cut_off_distance_information_sheet.pdf

Depends how big you think a block is! The catchment extended east to at least Briston Grove last year if you plot it on a map. That seems more than 3 or 4 blocks away to me.

Exactly my point also, its not Haringey's info its the phrase in the Taler article we challenge.

In the other direction the catchment extended at least to the old Ashmont School site, ie junction of Ashmount Road and Horsey Lane, N 19, and that is also more than "3 or 4 Blocks", and I base that on info from Haringey.

I mean a third of a mile is comfortably over 500 yards straight line, so saying the catchment "hanky sized" and you have to move "within yards" a rather unhelpful bit of hyperbole. One might almost think it was written by someone selling a house!

I know Coleridge is a good school but so is Rokesly - all my 3 have either been through or are still at the school and have  absolutely loved it! Personally i take offense to the comment in the mag that 'if your kids dont go to Coleridge you feel left out'.  all the schools in Crouch end are great.

I agree, I think people in Crouch End are fortunate to have so many good schools. There was a time, eight years ago, where some people living near Hornsey Library had a problem as they were not within the admission radius of Coleridge, their nearest school, and they were also too far from Rokesly AND Weston Park, but since the expansion of Coleridge that "Black hole" has ceased to exist.

In fact I have not heard for several years of people in Crouch End having any difficulty in finding a place for their child.

Could it be possible that the Crouch End "baby boom" is coming to an end?

agree although I think i am right in saying that weston park was two form entry this year which helps.  

Completely agree Happy Eaters.  I have 2 children attending Rokesly - I had a choice between Coleridge and Rokesly. With both schools achieving good results I chose Rokesly as it seemed more nurturing, friendly and inclusive with a great community spirit.  I wasn't wrong and absolutely love Rokesly Infants and Juniors.  I certainly do not feel like my children are  'missing out' by not attending Coleridge, quite the opposite.

I expect the article was written using the highly scientific technique of asking round the office about state primaries people had heard of and so should be taken with a hefty pinch of salt particularly given they can't get their Wests and Easts right. Obviously as a Coleridge parent I'd say it was as nurturing, friendly, inclusive and community spirited as any school could be but then my kids are there and not anywhere else. It is great that we have such good schools in this area with plenty of parent involvement.

totally agree Betty.

Yes, that is true about Weston Park - its not just demand but supply also. I understand that a Church of England School near priory park, so about half way between Crouch End and Muswell Hill really, is going up to two form entry this year, which I suppose might take some people who would otherwise have gone to a Crouch End secular school and so free up a handful more places.

But what also interests me is that Haringey reported that the number of children looking for reception places last year in Crouch End, fell. And this is the third year this has happened, the number not enormous but the effect cumulative.

This makes me wonder if crouch End having gone into the bay boom first may be coming out of it?

Is it possible that a lot of young families are now complete? And so numbers of applicants for primary reception will continue to decline? And we are shortly to be over run with teenagers?

RSS

© 2020   Created by Adrian Essex.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service