OpinioN8

Connecting Crouch End and Hornsey with news, views and information

We'll keep the Green Flag flying here @haringeycouncil @Clive_Carter @FinsParkFriends

Green Flag awards are given to parks and other open spaces which meet certain criteria, under eight major headings.

SECTION 1: A WELCOMING PLACE

SECTION 2: HEALTHY, SAFE AND SECURE

SECTION 3: WELL MAINTAINED AND CLEAN

SECTION 4: ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT

SECTION 5: BIODIVERSITY, LANDSCAPE AND HERITAGE

SECTION 6: COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT

SECTION 7: MARKETING AND COMMUNICATION

SECTION 8: MANAGEMENT

Haringey used to be very proud of Haringey parks with Green Flag status and still lists Finsbury Park as a green flag park, even though for the moment the flag is not flying.

It has to be acknowledged that with the changes to the way local authorities are funded the London Borough of Haringey is generally strapped for cash, but we also know that Finsbury Park is a rich source of income, which must be spent in the park. So lack of cash should not be the reason for the [temporary?] removal of the Park's green flag.

What we also know is that

•  Finsbury Park's management plan is out of date so it fails section 8
  • during the various music festivals over the year the park is massively unwelcoming, so that from time to time it fails section 1
  • the homeless camp out here, and a murder took place not so long ago, so the park is perhaps not so healthy, safe and secure as it might be
  • the community, and neighbouring communities have raised very serious doubts over whether the park is a suitable venue for events such as the Wireless Festival, doubts which were dismissed out of hand by Cllr Ejiofor  and less than convincingly recognised by the licensing committee casting some doubt on section 6

This picture of an empty flag pole is taken from the Martin Ball's twitter stream. This one is in Downhills Park (I think) which has also had its green flag struck.

The BBC has run at least one piece on the topic which is available on Clive Carter's youtube channel

Tags: finsbury park, green flag

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Apparently its down to bins and graffiti

THE admission of the Green Flag Award suspensions was made at last Saturday's meeting of the Haringey Parks Forum. (pictured).

The reports on the nine parks (two failed; seven failing), were promised by the council to councillors and the public. These reports don't need to be written, as they're already written. It would be a matter of forwarding. They are probably a single pdf file.

At five o'clock this evening, no park reports had been received.

The failure to supply a report about park maintenance demonstrates both a general contempt for the pubic and possible embarrassment at the contents of the reports.

Mystery Shopping - Interim Quality Assessment

To appear here shortly …

"To appear here shortly".

Some clarity please, Clive. Does that cryptic comment mean that you or one of your contacts has now had the reports?

I enjoyed your spoof of the Cllr Joe Ejiofor message - with green flags on the wall behind him. But only after someone persuaded me to keep watching and that it wasn't just his lifeless reading of extracts from the Council's most boring PR bulletins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE9NjUNCbaM

The point where one of the two green flags swings down was a laugh out loud moment. Maybe getting its humour from letters starting to fall off a display behind the hapless Theresa May.

I was though, disappointed that the poster didn't fold itself unto a paper plane and fly away. Next time?

Meanwhile here's my answering tweet.
It was of course inspired by Adrian Essex's heading: "We'll keep the green flag flying here"

The people's parks have green flags high
Oops. Two of them no longer fly.
One fluttered over Finsbury Park
Where has it gone? We're in the dark.

Another o'er Downhills flew
Its pole is bare.
We lost that too
For Haringey Parks who gives a fig?
We'll rent 'em off to a music gig.

NOT the reports plural.

Probably in order to frustrate comparability and a united reaction from the Haringey Parks Forum, the Council has contrived to send reports on individual parks to the Chairs of the Friends Groups of individual parks.

This is an effective attempt to divide the groups, who have a common interest in defending parks.

I hope to upload the whole report on Finsbury Park (only), tomorrow, following a formal statement from the Friends of Finsbury Park: a registered Charitable Trust.

The poem is brilliant. I compare it with La Marseillaise.

—CDC

RSS

© 2018   Created by Adrian Essex.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service