OpinioN8

Connecting Crouch End and Hornsey with news, views and information

The Knee Jerk of Sloth - Earl Haig Hall - Edinburgh Festival Preview

I went to see The Knee Jerk of Sloth yesterday at the Earl Haig Hall and without doubt I thoroughly enjoyed it, for a number of reasons:

1) It's so much more convenient than Edinburgh - just a short walk around the corner - isn't Crouch End great

2) the decor - if you were an interior designer you'd get a big pat on the back for creating such genuine distress with fairy lights

3) the beer - 99 red baboons from the Blue Monkey Brewery - An unusual combination of fruity hoppyness with a dark, malty side.  This beer is distinctly difficult to categorise – is it sort of a porter or maybe a mild?  You decide! I'd say porter - the mild I drank as a boy was less interesting and cost 1/11d a pint

4) The staff - utterly helpful and delightful

5) The play - I can't spoil it for you (unless you are going to Edinburgh) as last night was the only performance. After a tragic death years ago, four homeless and hopeless people are left picking up the pieces. As the past is gradually revealed, Blake, Shane, Pete and Queenie slowly lose their drunken minds, and with devastating results. The sad clowns wander through lonely nights and absurd humour, all under the watchful eye of a mysterious winged creature. 

Being a piece for Edinburgh it's far too clever for me  to understand, but fun , none the less - the mute finally speaks, a chamber pot is unceremoniously emptied, music for guitar , voice and keyboard punctuates, lights are switched on and off. I'd recommend you try some of the others in the series 

Tags: -, Earl, Edinburgh, Festival, Haig, Hall, Jerk, Knee, Preview, Sloth, More…The, of

Views: 242

© 2020   Created by Adrian Essex.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service