OpinioN8

Connecting Crouch End and Hornsey with news, views and information

Every day I walk past the parade of shops on Weston Park. And 9 out of 10 times there's a massive pile of bin bags and other rubbish piled up around the public bin. 

Every morning, the bags have been ripped open by foxes, their contents spilled out onto pavement and street. In short, it's disgusting, and it needs to stop.

I will keep reporting this to the Council, and it would be really helpful if others on here could do the same. 

Here's a picture from last night - Tuesday 15th: 

And here is how I found it this morning, Wednesday 16th. Lovely, isn't it? 

and this is Thursday morning April 17th

This is what greeted us on Friday 18th  - Good Friday afternoon

Tags: Park, Weston, dumped, fly, rubbish, tip

Views: 1201

Replies to This Discussion

This morning, Thursday May 1st was EXTRA special! 

The practice seems to be quite widespread - black sacks are left near any convenient litter bin

Here's May 4th:

And this is the winner so far, Monday morning, May 5th:

Hi

This is an issue we've been raising on and off for years - and I got the Council to promise to monitor the area and speak to all the shopkeepers and residents in the flats above back in November.  But it seems to have got worse in recent months - and the pictures are shocking.

In the last few weeks Katherine Reece and I have been raising this problem with the Council on an almost daily basis. We now have got a response from the Council officer in charge of enforcement and monitoring Veolia's performance in our area, which I have pasted below.  It seems they are trying to take action - but I'm not sure it is having any effect yet.

The view I've consistently put to the council (including the Labour cabinet member in charge)  is that the system needs to change.  Residents need to be given strictly enforced times for putting their waste out - and Veolia need to give residents very specific times for when they will collect.

We will keep pushing the Council to sort out this mess and find a long-term solution.  I'll finish by quoting Haringey Labour's manifesto for this election which was published on Monday: "Our streets are now amongst the cleanest in London and residents satisfaction is at its highest ever level".  Enough said.

Kind regards,

Richard

Dear Councillor Reece and Councillor Wilson

Your enquiry about fly tipping on Weston Park, N8

Ref : LBH/2953614

Thank you for your enquiry. I have now had the opportunity to speak with my Veolia colleagues regarding this location and I can advise you accordingly.

Veolia collect domestic waste from this location twice daily, once in the morning and then again in the evening. The litter bin is also emptied daily.

We are aware this location appears to be attracting a large amount of waste which accumulates close to the bin and purple sweepers bags.  To try and alleviate this problem, we have asked Veolia to instruct the sweeper to place the sweeping bags further away from the main shops to discourage people from assuming that is the collection point for presenting waste. 

The Outreach Team have previously carried out some door knocking at this location to advise residents on the best way to recycle and present waste for collection. This was carried out some time ago and we are arranging for some follow up door knocking to be carried out as soon as the outreach team can organise this.

The NAT officer has also carried out Duty of Care checks on the businesses there to ensure trade waste is being disposed of in a responsible way. However, we will also continue to visit the location and check the area continues to improve in appearance.

I hope that you are satisfied with my response to your enquiry.  If you have any follow-up queries or need more information, please contact the Feedback and Information Governance Team in the first instance.

Yours sincerely,

Tony Chapman

Neighbourhood Action Team Leader (West)

Haringey Council

Technopark, 271 Ashley Road, Tottenham, N17 9LN

Thank you Richard. I have decided to move this discussion over to to this forum instead, as it will get FAR more eyeballs and attention. With your permission I'd like to copy your reply over to HoL as well. 

I will stop posting re. this on here from now on. 

Clearly HoL is bigger and more active than OpinioN8. But transferring a discussion there will simply emphasise the difference and therefore surely defeat the object of a hyperlocal forum. But thanks anyway for pitching in.

Happy for you to copy me reply wherever.  Thanks for the further photos today - will take that up with the Council and Veolia ASAP.

There was an operative from Haringey FrontLine spraying white paint on the two small black bags which had been left beside the bin outside what was the post office. This was at about 8:30 on Tuesday 20th. I guess this is some srt of monitoring process?

Looks like they've just moved the problem around the corner (taken Saturday 31st) Some of the bags were all ripped open by Sunday morning.

Attachments:

They haven't - they've just added to it - here's Weston Park this morning: 

Hello, can I just add to this discussion.  I see that the council have put up cameras near the row of shops and a sign about fly tipping.  Unfortunately, as has been mentioned up thread all this has done has moved the problems around the corner. 

Whilst the cameras show that at least some effort is being made, there must be a reason why this is happening. 

Where is it coming from?  Is it because of nearby flats that do not access to wheelie bins?  Something must have changed recently because having lived on Weston Park for nearly 15 years and I have never known the rubbish situation to be so bad.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Adrian Essex.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service