OpinioN8

Connecting Crouch End and Hornsey with news, views and information

I've been following this for a while, but it seems very few people I meet are aware of it.

From May a new Thameslink line will head south from Finsbury Park railway station, calling at St Pancras, Farringdon, Blackfriars, London Bridge, and stations to Sussex incl. Brighton (it starts at Peterborough or Cambridge). Yes, brand new direct links, and surely a real improvement to a bunch of commuters - it'll be even better when they finish rebuilding the station.

It seems to have attracted scant attention thus far, though made this week's Islington Gazette,

http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/new-thameslink-line-to-offer...

For the rail nerds out there the interesting bits are the new Canal Tunnels they knocked through a few years ago under the developments at Kings Cross to link the East Coast mainline with the St Pancras lines, and the shiny but spartan new class 700 rolling stock...

Tags: Finsbury Park, rail

Views: 478

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why are they called Canal Tunnels?

They go under the canal.

Sssh. Don't tell anyone but it turns out they’re running sneaky preview services from February 26th. Apparently it’s unannounced driver training –
file:///C:/Users/House/Downloads/PreviweTrainsTimetables.pdf

So, all aboard for the first direct service from Cambridge to Brighton, calling at Finsbury Park at 15.11 on the 26th. The new Brighton Belle. I wonder if it has a bar?

The Trainline knows about it. An off-peak return would be £40.80, for instance:

OUTMon 26 Feb

Finsbury Park to Brighton

1h 31m0 changes

RETURNTue 27 Feb

Brighton to Finsbury Park

1h 41m0 changes
  • You’ve selected the 15:11 and 11:32, but you can travel on any eligible off-peak train.
  • Any off-peak train. Return within 1 month.
  • Travel is allowed via any permitted route.
A booking fee of £1.50 will apply to this transaction

Hmmm...are these the trains with the super hard seats?  An hour and a half to Brighton (and back again) doesn't sound that attractive.

They sure are. Commuter cattle class. The hard seats are good practice for sitting on Brighton Beach.

Is there a carriage for nudists then?

Nuts in May

RSS

© 2018   Created by Adrian Essex.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service