OpinioN8

Connecting Crouch End and Hornsey with news, views and information

Any updates please? It's been boarded up for ages so still wondering if it will be a Fullers pub?

Views: 177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is still loads of work being done having been shut for a good month or two now. The rumours, for that is all I have, is that there will be upstairs dining and well as dining at the back of the pub. I expect just Fullers beers on tap (shame) though it could have been green king (argh!). I expect the pub to be a good refurb to entice the new yuppies from the luxury flats behind the new Sainsburys (still to open). Expect £4 + beer prices for real ale. (waah!)..Although local for me, I'm sticking to the Earl Haig Hall for good price guest ales and fine food.

Not boarded up in the sense of closed and deserted, but scaffolded and undergoing what looks like an extensive renovation. Due to open as a Fullers before Easter, apparently. Fullers have a good track record for renovations, so hopefully it well be restored to its former glory. The plans were available on this site or on Harringay online, and showed pub downstairs, upstairs dining and outside patio.

and here are those very plans.

David Winskill had this note from Fullers

We purchased the pub a while ago and have just recently started work there as you may have seen. It is a big old building and so the work is going to take at least 10 weeks, therefore we are hoping to reopen at the end of March. The focus of the project is to restore the pub to its former glory rather than try and recreate it and there are certainly some great original features to work with.

I very much want to create a pub that is part of the community, that sells great beer and a plate of food in a relaxed environment. 

I'm hoping the details are protected like all the fixtures and fittings, mirrors, windows etc. These 'corporates' like to put in plain glass windows to attract people in. Fullers seem to have plenty of money but their pubs feel a bit corporate to me. There’s a lot of character in GNRT that can easily be lost :-(

Hornsey really needs, especially the High Road, a good independent freehouse or a nice little craft beer micro pub..I'm sure I could keep them in business :-)

Agreed; the GNRT used to have fantastic ornate brass lampholders on the bar (about 25 years ago) During a change of hands, they disappeared and were replaced by the current/recent cheap'n'nasty ones. It would be great in Fullers could bring those back. 

As for a nice little craft micropub, I would be queuing up with you, but I don't see much prospect of that. There are some fantastic ones in Kent (Ramsgate and Margate especially) but rents, rates and planning seem to make them impossible in London. Someone tried one in Kentish Town a couple of years ago, but couldn't make it work. The latest round of business rates increases will kill off many independent business, so I think we are stuck with the corporates.

Business rates are actually going down on Hornsey High Street,

RSS

© 2017   Created by Adrian Essex.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service