OpinioN8

Connecting Crouch End and Hornsey with news, views and information

I went to the public preview for Crouch End Open Studios yestere'en. The Original Gallery upstairs at Hornsey Library was packed with with a buzzing crowd of all ages from toddlers upwards. Extra Champagne was fetched to cope with demand. Raffle tickets were a snip at 6 for £5.

The walls were covered with a huge variety of types of art from photographs taken with a consciously low tech camera, through sculptures of resin and marble, to a large multi media piece with wood grain and paint, combining to stunning effect.

My heart was in my mouth for some ethereal sculpture balanced on a plinth in the middle of the room - a carelessly swung elbow could have  had it all on the floor.

I have already offered up my running shoes to Liz Brown for her shoe project, and Liz introduced me to Kim Valdez, one of the founders of the Open Studios concept. Kim has been blogging her progress on this year's installation for the Open Studios, and I look forward to seeing the result. 

Tags: art, crouch, crouchend, end, haringey, hornsey, london, n8, opoen studios

Views: 130

Replies to This Discussion

Really sad we didn't get to this.  I thought in deference to art lovers it would be best not to bring the children as they sense formality and go evil in sedate surroundings.  Instead I took them on a bat walk in Ally Pally which was totally creepy and rather wonderful. Might do a little blog later.
There is a brief write up of the bat walk here

RSS

© 2020   Created by Adrian Essex.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service