OpinioN8

Connecting Crouch End and Hornsey with news, views and information

Crouch End & District U3A welcomes its 500th member

Susan Wilde was in for a big surprise when, encouraged by a friend, she attended a talk given by the Crouch End & District U3A (University of the Third Age). She loved the talk, applied for membership and discovered that she was the 500th member to join. At the regular U3A monthly meeting last Thursday, Susan was warmly welcomed by the chair, Sue Felgate.

To reach 500 members is a major milestone for the CE&D U3A, since it was launched only  eight months ago. It is a registered charity open to all who are retired or semi retired, and along with lively monthly talks, runs social events and nearly 50 groups covering a wide range of interests and activities. The Crouch End & District U3A is run entirely by volunteers who share their skills and life experiences and all the activities are organised by the members for the members.

Susan enjoys art and singing, is a member of the local choir Mixed Up Chorus and is looking forward to joining some of the interest groups organised by the U3A . For more information about the Crouch End & District U3A, take a look at their website www.cedu3a.org.uk

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Many congratulations to the 500th member, and to the first 499, and particularly the first few.

Perhaps with the 3rd age comes some wisdom. I note that the headings skip from the very, very broad, e.g. philosophy, to the really quite narrow, like gardening, which can take place in a window box.  Intermediate levels, such as Haringey, Crouch End, Hornsey Town Hall, seem to be omitted.  Perhaps this accounts for the successful growth, unless these topics are subsumed in others I have not identified.

Not sure what you mean about Haringey, Crouch End and Hornsey Town Hall as interest groups, but apart from having an enthusiastic  Local  History group, we have had people from the Hornsey Historical Society give a talk on Conscientious Objectors in our area and also had a representative from Make architects give a presentation on the Town Hall development. Louise Stewart from the Alexandra Park and Palace Charitable Trust will also be coming to talk to us next month  so I think we can safely say that our local areas are not being ignored! In addition, Oonagh Gay, who often leads Town Hall tours and Philip Messent  are the convenors of our short walks group and have already organised several walks in our area. 

I missed the Local History group in my scan, and I feel sure the Make presentation was very positive, as no doubt will be the talk on Alexandra Palace. 

RSS

© 2018   Created by Adrian Essex.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service