sharing news and views from Crouch End and Hornsey
Apparently there has been a Community Street Audit of Crouch End Broadway which makes 20 recommendations:
1. Establish a 20 mph limit throughout the area.
2. Repair pavements, particularly outside Tesco’s and Budgen’s.
3. Increase the number of cycle racks and review their location. Relocate cycle racks outside Waitrose to clear the pavement area.
4. Adjust northbound bus bay so as to eliminate pavement pinch points at each end.
5. Ensure that traders liaise with Veolia to ensure that rubbish bags are not left in the street.
6. Renew zig zag and other road markings.
7. Move the litter bins near the pedestrian crossing and the northbound bus stop so as to avoid obstruction to pedestrians.
8. Remove railings except where absolutely necessary. Where necessary relocate them nearer to the kerb to maximise space for pedestrians.
9. Widen the pavement in the stretch north of Coleridge Road, if necessary by removing or restricting parking.
10. Widen pavement outside nos. 2 and 4.
11. Remove or refurbish telephone boxes.
12. Resite benches by the Italian Food Hall.
13. Resite bus stop post and litter bin at the southbound bus stop.
14. Combine bus stops for all routes serving the Broadway
15. Re-design open space at junction of the Broadway and Weston Park to
incorporate open-air sculpture, or possible some good outdoor planting
16. Remove railings around Clock Tower
17. Re-phase the light controlled crossing of the Broadway by the clock tower so it can be crossed in one phase.
18. Enforce illegal right turns from Crouch Hall Road onto the slipway leading to Tottenham Lane.
19. Replan the junction between Middle Lane and Park Road so as to make pedestrian crossing easier.
20. Enforce repair of damaged down pipe and electrical wiring outside no.53 and damaged guttering above Cancer Research and Boot’s (3/5 Broadway).
This looks like a pretty good start but perhaps does not think quite far enough outside the box to actually upgrade the area as far as maybe.