OpinioN8

Connecting Crouch End and Hornsey with news, views and information

This news item posted on Facebook

OMG! That was one hell of a storm last night and then I saw the BBC news when I woke up…
CROUCH END CLOCK TOWER COLLAPSES FOLLOWING HIGH WINDS
The historic 150 year old clocktower in Crouch End has collapsed following winds that reached over 116 miles per hour last night.

"OMG! That was one hell of a storm last night and then I saw the BBC news when I woke up… CROUCH END CLOCK TOWER COLLAPSES FOLLOWING HIGH WINDS The historic 150 year old clocktower in Crouch End has collapsed following winds that reached over 116 miles per hour last night."

Tags: clock tower

Views: 981

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

More details on this story from the Ham & High:

The winds reached more than 116 miles per hour in the early hours of this morning, toppling the historic landmark.

Fire crews were called just after 4.20am, and are currently working to make the site safe.

The area around the tower was deserted at the time, and nobody was injured during the collapse.

A local writer, 28-year-old Abdul Fawl, lives opposite the tower and heard an almighty bang as the tower collapsed.

He said: “The wind was so strong when I heard a mighty crash about 4.15 in the morning.

“I looked out the window and saw the top of the clock tower had collapsed. Thankfully no-one was hurt.”

Hornsey firefighter Alvin Al-Arf added: “While it does look bad on the face of it, it’s only a few bricks really. We should have it ship-shape by noon.”

RSS

© 2022   Created by Adrian Essex.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service