OpinioN8

Connecting Crouch End and Hornsey with news, views and information

There has been some information on OpinioN8 about shops and rents. This note from Haringey sets out the situation as regards rates, which at present charity shops do not pay.

 

Revenues, Benefits and Customer Services

P O Box 10505, Wood Green, London, N22 7WJ

                                               Tel: 020 8489 2814   Fax: 020 8489 3790

www.haringey.gov.uk

Head of Service  Paul Ellicott

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This matter is being dealt with by:

Ms A Alexander

 

6th June 2013

By email

 

Dear Councillor Winskill

 

Your enquiry about Business rates: Charity Shops

Ref: LBH/1834413

 

Thank you for your enquiry in relation to the following:

 

  • Whether there any special arrangements for reduction in business rates for registered charities operation in the borough.

 

  • Whether these arrangements are national concessions or negotiated locally.

 

  • How many charity shops there are in the borough in receipt of any special arrangements?

 

I can advise that Charity shops qualify for 80% mandatory relief.  This is set down in legislation so is the same across the country.  Haringey’s discretionary policy is currently to award the remaining 20% “top-up” relief so the shops currently pay no rates.  The policy is under review and may change.

 

A registered charity will be entitled to the 80% mandatory relief as long as it was used for the purpose of the charity – therefore they would not receive relief on an investment property for example.

 

In terms of other charities, we currently award the top up relief to community and counselling centres, youth groups and charities which receive funding from Haringey Council.

 

We currently have 27 Charity Shops receiving the 20% top up relief at present.

 

I hope that you are satisfied with my response to your enquiry.  If you have any follow-up queries or need more information, please contact the Feedback and Information Governance Team in the first instance.

 

Yours sincerely,

 

 

Angela Alexander

RB&CS Business Support (Assistant Chief Executive; Revenues, Benefits, & Customer Services)

Tags: rates, rents, shops

Views: 199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It would be interesting to know the identities of the charity shops who are currently receiving the 20 per cent top up relief.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Adrian Essex.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service