OpinioN8

Connecting Crouch End and Hornsey with news, views and information

Baths and Wash House - Hornsey High Street - and other Public Buildings Crouch End

Public Buildings in Hornsey and Crouch End are coming under scrutiny at present. Alexandra Palace is in neither of those places but looms large on the horizon, and has been proposed as a World Heritage SiteHornsey Town Hall might be let to Mountview for a nominal sum. What was once the British Legion branch in Elder Avenue has been offered for sale but is proving tricky to shift. The old Journal Offices are to let at £40,000 p.a.

The Public baths and wash houses on Hornsey High Street have also come in for some attention. Katey Walter of Crouch End Creatives has posted a question on Faceb.... I don't know if the proposed visits ever took place. And Bethany Wells has put up a couple of internet postings with some suggestions as to what might happen to the building.

I've been able to find relatively little about the history of the Baths. Hornsey Past by Steven Denford (Historical Publications 2008 almost certainly available from The Portable Bookshop) says only - "Public Baths and Wash houses were opened in 1932 in Hornsey High Street on the site of the old wooden cottages there. The baths still had 33,000 users a year in the 1950s, helping those whose houses had no bathrooms"

Today the baths look like this:

The more recent past is a little easier to follow.

In 1995 Sainsbury's applied to The London Borough of Haringey for planning permission for the development of a large supermarket which was granted in 2000 - this document is the permission. This permission expired in 2005 so there is no planning permission in force at present. The site and the building still belongs to Haringey. Haringey published a news item about a year ago setting out a plan for new permission to be granted - this timetable has now slipped. No new application has been received. This plan is taken form the permission that was granted. The proposed supermarket is highlighted in pink (double click for a full size image).

Since 1995 a lot has happened in the area Haringey calls it Heartlands - which stretches from this site through New River Village (built since 1995) across the railway line and on to the area which is now the subject of this planning application. Any new application would have to take into account these changes.

A local resident has short term plans for the building as an arts centre and has already done a little guerrilla work

Tags: haringey, heartlands, planning, public buildings, sainsburys

Views: 983

Replies to This Discussion

I have checked both the list of statutory listed buildings in Haringey and the register of locally listed buildings in Haringey and as far as I can tell the baths appear in neither.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Adrian Essex.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service