OpinioN8

Connecting Crouch End and Hornsey with news, views and information

Ally Pally - Demolition of the BBC studios - write to the Heritage Lottery Fund

I have received this email from Save Ally Pally, and i have written to HLF.
Dear SAPper

Next week: the HLF decision on the 
Ally Pally Second Round Application

THE Heritage Lottery Fund is already aware of differing views in relation to the design scheme and interpretation proposals.

The HLF Board will be considering the Second Round application for Alexandra Palace next week.

If you – like SAP – are concerned about the proposal for the irreversible removal of the 1936 BBC Studio walls, then we would invite you to write or email the Head of Heritage Lottery Fund, London (Sue Bowers) and/or the Senior Grants Officer (Lesley McCarthywho is dealing with this Second Round Application:

Sue Bowers a href="mailto:SueB@hlf.org.uk" target="_blank">SueB@hlf.org.uk>

Head of Heritage Lottery Fund, London

Lesley McCarthy a href="mailto:LesleyM@hlf.org.uk" target="_blank">LesleyM@hlf.org.uk>

Senior Grants Officer

Heritage Lottery Fund

7 Holbein Place
London SW1W 8NR

Best wishes
SOS Petition: goo.gl/A4JfW1 

Working to safeguard the world birthplace of television studios,
the Father Willis Organ and the Victorian Theatre and to secure
Alexandra Palace for future generations of Londoners, by 
putting the People's Palace back in the hands of the People.

Your email address: we do not share it with others. We have
sent you this email because, according to our records, you have
previously contacted us and/or agreed to receive updates by
email from us. If you would rather not receive emails in future,
please let us know.

Tags: alexandra palace, bbc, heritage, hlf, planning, unesco

Views: 364

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm afraid I can't get excited by this. I'd prefer to see the front facade of Ally Pally restored to its former glory. The BBC messed it up.

A quote from William Morris on helping to found the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings

“... a strange and most fatal idea, which by its very name implies that it is possible to strip from a building this, that, and the other part of its history - of its life that is - and then to stay the hand at some arbitrary point, and leave it still historical, living, and even as it once was.

In early times this kind of forgery was impossible, because knowledge failed the builders, or perhaps because instinct held them back. If repairs were needed, if ambition or piety pricked on to change, that change was of necessity wrought in the unmistakable fashion of the time; a church of the eleventh century might be added to or altered in the twelfth, thirteenth, fourteenth, fifteenth, sixteenth, or even the seventeenth or eighteenth centuries; but every change, whatever history it destroyed, left history in the gap, and was alive with the spirit of the deeds done midst its fashioning. The result of all this was often a building in which the many changes, though harsh and visible enough, were, by their very contrast, interesting and instructive and could by no possibility mislead. But those who make the changes wrought in our day under the name of Restoration, while professing to bring back a building to the best time of its history, have no guide but each his own individual whim to point out to them what is admirable and what contemptible; while the very nature of their task compels them to destroy something ..”

Manifesto of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings  1877

But Ally Pally is not an ancient building. It had only just been built when Morris wrote this.  His viewpoint may be valid for ancient buildings, such as churches, but otherwise the implication is that any change to any building, however ghastly or inappropriate, must be retained for reasons of historical evolution, and that nothing must be restored.  I don't buy that.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Adrian Essex.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service