OpinioN8

Connecting Crouch End and Hornsey with news, views and information

The Mayor has produced an interactive map showing locations which are in public ownership. It's really rather technically wonderful. I marvel at the database which can store the data and reproduce it such a delightful graphical form with many of the hills and dales shown in a sort of 3D effect. 

But I don't think this sort of alarmist nonsense is called for from the Evening Standard, nor the usually rather more sober Liz Ixer. Clearly there is a bit of tidying up to be done on some of the notes about usage.

This is rather more alarming

This is the London Land Commission

Check it out for yourself.

Tags: public land usage

Views: 304

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think alarm may be a reasonable response.

This article in The Planner offers a precis of the stated intentions "to compile the preliminary stages of a ‘Domesday Book’ of brownfield land owned by public bodies in London." All about developing for housing of course, but our Norman lords and masters don't always play fair with the actualité.

All part of the huge push to find brownfield sites for residential building perhaps, but it's hard not also to see it as a continuation of the grand flogging-off all that is publicly owned, and the intention to eliminate any remaining council housing. So I don't feel it unreasonable to view this as part of an ideologically driven attempt to reduce the state to irrelevance. A year zero project. One's reaction to that may depend on your politics, but when this stuff is gone, it's gone - and the valuable legacy of built-for-purpose buildings, and the civic responsibility and identity that that engendered may go with them.

I had a look at the LLC map (below), and the listed locations are indeed mostly schools and council housing, though it also contains the Clocktower, the Town Hall, the library, Priory Park, Stationer's Park, Park Road Pools, Jackson's Lane, the Old School House, allotments, green spaces, etc. There are a few council owned commercial/retail properties, and some descriptions are odd, for instance the council owned residential care centre (4 Haslemere Road) is categorised as 'industry'. The single 'non-operational' site turns out to be the Hornsey Health Centre.

Let's add some more doom to the Domesday book, then with this strident call from the Defend the Whittington Hospital Coalition in respect of the Whittington Estates Strategy (pdf) Whittington Estates Strategy (html)

Hi Everyone,
Next Tuesday, 2nd February we will be meeting again with Simon Pleydell, the CEO at the Whittington Hospital, to discuss their Estates Strategy
We have been sent the latest drafts which I am attaching as I would really like your feedback.
We remain adamant that
1. There should be no reduction in clinical provision
2. There should be no loss of jobs
3. There should be no outsourcing (privatisation) of health services
4. The Estate Strategy should not promote or include private health care.
5. There should be no loss of staff accommodation and no increase in rents. 
Are there any other facts or factors that you would like us to address, that arise from the attached Strategy?
With thanks for your support for our hospital and for our publicly owned and fully funded NHS.

They have provided the following map of Whittington Community Sites (presumably Lift has some acronymic value I'm not familiar with)

RSS

© 2020   Created by Adrian Essex.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service