OpinioN8

Connecting Crouch End and Hornsey with news, views and information

I'll confess I don't ride a bike but my son runs Big Fun bikes in Haggerston - my wife and I were talking about Bike Hangers, those metal cages that people an safely leave their bikes in, and so I took a look on line at Haringey's provision local to us. There seem to be a lot and most are priced at £36 per annum which seems reasonable BUT... why is the bike hanger by Chettle Court, a block of what we used to call council flats, but I suppose are now called social housing, priced at £72 per annum??? Why should the section of our local population who are probably least able to afford these prices charged twice as much as the hangers on local roads which are mainly privately owned and used by people, most of whom I assume are middle class and fairly well off... https://cyclehoop.force.com/RentalsCommunity/yourcycleparking?id=a0...

Views: 129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Paul, this came up when I was a Councillor in Highgate Ward, when the council or Homes for Haringey tried to levy a similar charge on cyclists renting a bike hangar stall on the Hillcrest Estate.

Again, the respective charges were the same or in any event, the proposed Hillcrest charge was for much more than bike hangars not in council estates. We saw it off.

The difference is a council subsidy, in order to bring the costs of cycle storage down. It is a small—too small—step in order to encourage cycling.

While the council is encouraging the storage of bikes in newly consented Planning Applications, what they are failing to do, is to enable cycling on roads, between bike storage facilities.

The current bids for government cash for temporary cycling infrastructure are barely token gestures; minuscule steps in the right direction. Plus, one is all too aware that the (a) the Highways Dept. are unenthusiastic and (b) there is little-to-no genuine political will to improve cycling infra.

The difference between the £36 and the £72 is more evidence of the muddled thinking that exists at the council on cycling.

• There is a lack of consistency
  • There is encouragement but not enablement
  • No one in the Cabinet has explicit responsibility for cycling
  • Transport is divided between two Councillors (Highways vs. Strategic Transport)
  • The official Cycling "Champion" exists in name only and lacks budget and authority

Hey both,

I need to address this because I am sorry to say this is uninformed stuff, Clive. 

The council has a contract with cycle hoop. The council gives cycle hoop locations to put hangars, the hangars are bought by the council, but cycle hoop does the admin, back office work and all maintenance on the hangars. Hence, cycle hoop rents out the spaces. In the first three years a resident will pay £36 per year to store a bike, because the council SUBSIDISES the spaces with 50%. After the three years the rent goes up to £72.

When I was working on bike hangars in another borough, we realised this price was steep and we went with another bike hangar manufacfurer. One who is new on the market. We managed to negotiate a deal. £36 became £30 and £72 became £60 a year. 

Financially it does not make sense to do all this in house if a council doesn’t have more than 100 bike hangars. It makes more financial sense to have the rental scheme with cycle hoop. Hackney council realised when they went over a certain amount of hangars, the cost of an officer would be covered, so they took it inhouse. Most boroughs are not there yet, but might be in a few years time. 

All the best,

Deborah

In the first three years a resident will pay £36 per year to store a bike.

While this is true generally, it has not always been true on council housing estates. 

In June 2016, a new bike hangar was installed on the Hillcrest Estate. Then, the annual rental for a space in that bike hangar was £60 per year. Then, all other bike hangars in Haringey, except for those on HfH Estates, cost £30 per year. A written response from Homes for Haringey at the time was:

The fee of £60/year is the standard fee charged for renting one space per year, however the ones installed by the council on public highways are being subsidised by the council for the first 3 years by 50%. Due to current budget constraints, Homes for Haringey were only in a position to cover the costs of installing the Bikehanagars on our estates.

[my emphasis]

Following further discussions, Home for Haringey said they would be matching the subsidy in line with the council's. Cyclehoop Ltd were informed. The council ought to have a clear, consistent policy on this, and a three-year rental subsidy for bike hangers whether installed by the council or HfH, i.e. irrespective of location. After all, all users pay council tax, and the benefits to the borough's environment and streets are the same.

What is uninformed?  Search on Cyclehoop and it is clear that those sites managed by Homes For Haringey charge £72 per annum, those on private roads cost, in the main, £36 per annum, although a few are priced at £30 per annum.  There is no justification for charging social housing tenants more than private householders.  Interestingly all of the Cyclehoop installations in Hackney are FREE...

This strikes me as another example of Haringey muddled thinking as we have come to expect over the years.  

Paul, if Chettle Court residents are paying the unsubsidised rate from the start of their hire, then I suggest they should be referred to the Hillcrest example that I above.

Homes for Haringey need to have a policy about this that consistent between council estates, is fair to their residents and consistent with council policy. The three-year rental subsidy for bike hangers should obtain whether installed by the council or HfH i.e. irrespective of location. All users pay council tax, and the benefits to the borough's environment and streets are the same.

I received this from Cyclehoop Rentals in December last:

London Borough of Haringey have confirmed that they will continue to subsidise your subscription until 30th September 2020.  The council will be subsiding your space by 50%.  The annual cost of a space is £72, which means that if your subscription renews before 30th September 2020, you will be charged £36 for the year. The council will review their position in respect of subsidy again in 2020 and will advise if they are able to continue to provide their residents with a discount.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Adrian Essex.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service