OpinioN8

Connecting Crouch End and Hornsey with news, views and information

The 101 Playgroup on Tottenham Lane is likely to lose its funding from Haringey this year.

The Council proposal is to stop all funding to them ( along with everyone else) from 31st march.

They will only fund services which will help children who are vulnerable, and services to children who are at risk of suffering significant impact on their health or development.

They wish to know, what impact the closure of our service would have on you.

If you can help please do so as we need to make our selves heard and if you can pass this message along to anyone else you may know that this could affect please do so.

For more info or to voice an opinion:

Email your local councillers or cypsconsultation@haringey.gov.uk

All consultations must be in by 8th april( just in time for the easter holidays)

Thanks for your support.

Views: 170

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Julia. I will send an email to the address you supplied. 

I don't use this sort of facility. My children are now all in their 30s or 20s. I am ignorant of the playgroup's operation and financial basis. Can I ask a few questions before firing off a response to Haringey.

Are the children at 101 vulnerable or invulnerable? Or a mixture of the two?

Are any or all of them at imminent risk of ill health or stunted development?

Is 101 a viable commercial operation which could perhaps take in more children, or increase its charges to existing customers, in order to survive without the subsidy? Is there some other business model which might permit it to continue as a an independent organ?

Before lending y weight to the campaign I need to know what impact the withdrawal of the subsidy, and the consequent possible closure, would have,

It's just a local playgroup at which you pay a fee and the council subsidises the rest (as I understand).  The children are just ordinary local children and it's been a Crouch End institution much loved by mothers in N8 and beyond.

I think that what Julia and I were hoping was that mothers that use the playgroup or have used the playgroup would send an email in support of it as it's not just the vulnerable and imminently at risk of ill health who require reasonably priced childcare facilities.

It would stand to reason that if the 101 Playgroup had its funding cut, so would other key playgroups in Haringey.

I'm not sure that the average parent of a 101 Playgroup user would know what their business model was or are in a position to start taking it on as a viable commercial operation. 

The plea here, as I see it, is to send an email of support to local councillors or cypsconsultation@haringey.gov.uk

This is from an earlier thread I created which I will deleted and the discussion can continue from this thread. 

From 31st March the council is proposing to withdraw funding from playgroups and will only fund services which will help children who are vulnerable and services to children who are at risk of suffering significant impact on their health or development.

As per the note below, please email your local councillors or cypsconsultation@haringey.gov.uk

This must be part of the consultation on Children's Centres where funding is being cut and services rearranged.

Dear Ex Parents
> just a quick update and request for help!!!
> we are likely to lose our funding from haringey this year, the council
> proposal is to stop all funding to us ( along with everyone else) from 31st
> march; they will only fund services which will help children who are
> vulnerable, and services to children who are at risk of suffering
> significant impact on their health or development;
>
> they wish to know, what impact the closure of our service would have on you;
> if you can help please do so as we need to make our selves heard and if you
> can pass this message along to any other exparents you may know please do so
> for more info or to voice an opinion ;
> email your local councillers or cypsconsultation@haringey.gov.uk

> all consultations must be in by 8th april( just in time for the easter
> holidays)
> thanks for your support
> mary

So, in a nutshell email your local councillor or cypsconsultation@haringey.gov.uk and explain what impact losing the playgroup would have on you!

And do it by the 8th April 2011

PS.  Thank you Adrian for lending your support.  I'm a grumpy little Cupcake today!

RSS

© 2021   Created by Adrian Essex.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service